Sunday, May 24, 2015

Five Anchors of Faith

There has been some online chatter over the last couple of years among my peers about religious doubts, whether it be reconciling seemingly outdated or conflicting scriptures, events in the history of my church, or doubting the existence of God entirely.[i]

Since returning from my mission eleven years ago, I have gone through somewhat of an evolution of my faith and testimony. As a missionary, my faith was strong, but it was, perhaps, simple in many ways. As I advanced in my higher education, I learned to think more critically, and that critical thinking spilled over into my spiritual life. This led me to confront certain doubts and issues, and for several years I oscillated back and forth between doubt and faith. I have struggled with doubts from time to time, and there are many questions for which I still don’t have answers. As I have confronted these issues, there are some principles that have helped keep me anchored in my faith and have actually helped my faith to grow, even as I have wrestled with my doubts. I recommend these principles to anyone who, from time to time, encounters doubts on the path of faith (this no doubt includes most believers—if not all believers).

1. Consider our limited view of the big picture. Understand and accept that we don't know everything. I firmly believe that part of having faith in God and His plan includes understanding that we only have a very finite view of the “big picture.” My toddler provides a good parallel example.[ii] He understands and comprehends a lot for a three-year old, but at this particular point in time, he is simply incapable of comprehending calculus, physics, law, psychology, or any other field of higher education. He has some of the building blocks (i.e., ABCs, reading simple words, numbers, etc.) to eventually understand these concepts, but how far he progresses in these concepts will depend on what he does with these foundational principles in the years to come. Similarly, I believe that we receive knowledge and wisdom from God as we are prepared to receive it, based upon what we do with the knowledge we currently have. In many ways, I think that most if not all of us are infants and toddlers, spiritually speaking. The scriptures say that we learn line upon line, precept upon precept,[iii] that we have to learn the milk before we can understand the meat.[iv] And it is important to remember that we don’t have the full picture, and therefore we don’t comprehend all that God comprehends. God told us through the prophet Isaiah, “For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the Lord. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.”[v]

As a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, I believe in continuing revelation. One of our Articles of Faith states, “We believe all that God has revealed, all that He does now reveal, and we believe that He will yet reveal many great and important things pertaining to the Kingdom of God.” As we collectively and individually are ready to receive more knowledge and truth, God will reveal it to us through His modern-day prophets and through His Holy Spirit.

In addition, it has been my experience that resolution to certain concerns or questions does not come until I take a step of faith into the dark. At a recent Stake Conference, the visiting General Authority shared an analogy that sometimes our faith is like walking into a dark room fumbling for the light switch. When we don’t find the switch, we take a step into the darkness to find that things were not as we thought them to be. In fact, the room has no light switch, but the lights are motion-sensored, and our step into the darkness actually illuminated the room. Similarly, our answers may come in a way that we are not expecting (i.e., no light switch), and we often have to walk in the dark for a time—and maybe even a lifetime—before some questions will be answered. Part of the purpose of this life is to be tested and to grow,[vi] and the test and growth can only occur in an environment in which we have to exercise our faith.

2. Don't neglect the basics. I had a Sunday School teacher as a teenager that shared that on occasion he would approach his dad asking "difficult" questions. His father’s reply would often be, "I don't know, son, I'm still working on faith and repentance." That has always stuck with me. I don't think his father was suggesting that we shouldn't seek answers to difficult questions. Rather, we should recognize that we don't have all the answers, and there are likely more important elements of the gospel of Jesus Christ than what may be occupying our mind (for example, focusing on personal improvement, serving others, striving to understand the atonement of Jesus Christ, and preparing each week for the sacrament). These are some of the foundational principles, like the ABCs and 123s my toddler has learned, that are central to God’s plan and purpose for us on this earth. I recently asked myself, "Does it really matter to my salvation to know [fill in the blank with any of the questions I have]?” Let us not be guilty of "looking beyond the mark."

3. Remember. Revelation 3:3 says, “Remember therefore how thou hast received and heard, and hold fast...” Remember the times when you have felt the Spirit[vii] and hold fast to those experiences. When doubts bubble up, I can always fall back on a handful of experiences I have had with God—some “bigger” experiences where I have felt of God’s love and presence very strongly, but mostly just an accumulation of many encounters with my Heavenly Father that have built my faith over time.

To aid in remembering, it's a good idea to record such experiences in a journal or somewhere where you can remember and recall the feelings you felt when you have most felt faith. In the Book of Mormon, two groups (the Lehites and the Mulekites) each left to the Americas from Jerusalem. A few hundred years later, the two groups met up, and one of the groups (the Mulekites) had nearly completely lost their language and the teachings of the prophets of Israel. The other group (the Lehites) had retained their language and the teachings of the prophets. The Lehites did not drift in their teachings and their language because they had records with the words of the prophets that allowed them to remember their language and the teachings of these prophets. Benjamin, a Book of Mormon king and prophet, taught his sons, “For it were not possible that our father, Lehi, could have remembered all these things, to have taught them to his children, except it were for the help of these plates [i.e., records]; ... therefore he could read these engravings, and teach them to his children, that thereby they could teach them to their children, and so fulfilling the commandments of God, even down to this present time.”(Mosiah 1:4) Generally speaking, this is one of the many reasons why scriptures are important: they are a documented collection of prophets’ teachings, and they help us learn and remember the teachings of prophets who have gone before. They anchor us in the doctrine of Christ and reduce the risk of our being “tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine” (see Ephesians 4:14).[viii]

In a similar way, a personal record of spiritual experiences can help to anchor us individually in our faith. I still draw strength from experiences I had more than 15 years ago as a teenager because they are in my journal. If you have not kept such a personal record up to this point, you can begin now and start with remembering and recording the faith-building moments that have most affected you.

4. Give equal time to the Lord. In a 2010 Church Educational System fireside, Elder M. Russell Ballard of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles shared the following account:

Some years ago one of my missionaries came to see me. He said: “President, I am losing my testimony. I have some questions that no one will answer for me. My bishop and stake president just told me to forget them, and they had no answers.”

I asked for his questions in writing and then suggested he come to see me in 10 days, and I would answer every one of his questions.

As he was leaving my office, I was prompted to ask him, “Elder, how long has it been since you have read from the scriptures?”

He acknowledged that it had been a long time.

I said: “You have given me an assignment; it’s only fair that I give you one. You read at least one hour from the scriptures each day until you come back for your answers.”

He agreed to do this.

When he came back, I was ready. He said: “President, I don’t need the answers. I know the Book of Mormon is true. I know Joseph Smith is a prophet. I’m OK now.”

I replied: “You will get your answers anyway. I worked hard on them!” ...

After our discussion I asked him, “Elder, what have you learned from all of this?”

And he gave me a very significant response: “I’ve learned to give the Lord equal time!”

Make time to give the Lord equal time. In my opinion, it would be unfair and unwise to spend more time listening to voices of doubt than we put into our study of the scriptures and actually talking to Heavenly Father about our concerns in prayer. This is particularly true since we know that Satan[ix] is actively trying to destroy our faith. The times I have struggled most with my doubts are when I am most lax in my scripture study, prayer, temple attendance, and other spiritual activities.

5. Lean on others’ faith.  It's okay (and actually praiseworthy) to rely on others' faith at times. The scriptures describe having a testimony as a spiritual gift, but they also say that the ability to believe others' testimonies is a spiritual gift.  Not a weakness![x]  “To some it is given by the Holy Ghost to know that Jesus Christ is the Son of God, and that he was crucified for the sins of the world. To others it is given to believe on their words, that they also might have eternal life if they continue faithful.”[xi] I have had both of these gifts at different times in my life, ebbing and flowing from one to the other and back again.

As I have remembered and implemented these five anchoring principles when I confront my doubts, my faith and testimony have actually grown—in spite of my doubts. I invite you to consider these principles if (when) you experience doubts or a crisis of your faith.

Are there any other “anchors” you would add to the list? What has helped your faith during episodes of doubt?


[i] Leaders from my church have addressed the topic of faith and doubts several times over the last few years as well (see here, here, here, here, and here, for example).
[ii] The three years of being a father have taught me things about Heavenly Father that, I am convinced, I could not learn in any other way.
[vi] Abraham 3:24-25.For background on the Book of Abraham, read here.
[viii] Side note: that’s also a big reason why it’s important to have modern-day prophets, but that is for another discussion.
[ix] Yes, I believe that Satan is an actual being.
[x] Thanks and credit to this blog where I discovered this idea: http://geoffsn.blogspot.com/2012/08/russell-hancock-on-testimony-and-church.html
[xi] Doctrine and Covenants 46:13-14. For background on the Doctrine and Covenants, read here.

8 comments:

  1. Thank you for your perspective and insights - they are beautifully expressed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some great thoughts here for anchoring yourself to whatever particular religion/faith you happen to be in. I'm curious though, how you know the thing being anchored should be anchored in the first place? Just like real anchors, these suggestions seem designed to maintain the status quo regardless of what form it takes. The real challenge seems to be distinguishing truth from error in the first place. Then we can decide whatbto anchor. I'm probably getting beyond the intended scope of your post though - looking forward to more of your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading and commenting! You make a good point, and implicit in your comment is that absolute truth exists--an important principle that many have tossed aside for the concept of relative truth. There is a principle taught in the Book of Mormon that faith is the belief in things which are not seen *but are true* (see Alma 32:21), thus "faith" that the earth is flat is not faith at all (to give a simple example).

      I hope that my post did not suggest that we shouldn't continue to seek out truth (indeed, I think some of my language suggests that we should continue to seek answers to our questions, even if we may have to move some questions to the back of our minds so that we can focus on more important principles from time to time). Furthermore, I hope that my post didn't suggest that we should anchor ourselves to our religion solely for the sake of anchoring ourselves to our religion. Presumably there is good in whatever we are latching ourselves to...one of the anchors I listed is to remember experiences we have had with God. That being said, I am a member of a Church that actively invites people to bring all the good and truth that they have and see if we can add to it (and I have spent two years of my life full time as a missionary inviting people to do so), so I certainly don't think people should necessarily bind themselves to the religion of their upbringing.

      Finally, I want to clarify that even though I have had many questions (and even unanswered questions...a necessary element of faith, I believe) within my religion, I believe that I am anchoring myself to a religion that provides more answers than questions--more satisfying and assuring answers to existential questions than any other alternative that I have come across (e.g., what is the purpose of life, was there a life before birth, what happens after death, why does God allow bad things to happen, what about people throughout the history of the world who never heard Jesus Christ's name, etc.?).

      As for *how* we can know if anything is true, I think that my church provides extensive answers to that question as well (Mormonism developed because a young boy asked God which church he should join, and the consistent message and invitation from Mormon missionaries to anyone who will listen is to ask God and find out for yourself if their message is true). This may be a good topic for another post, but here are some highlights of scriptures that teach us about how we can find answers to know truth (I'll pull from both the Bible and uniquely Mormon scriptures):

      What must we do to know? James 1:5 (If anyone lacks wisdom, ask God); John 7:17 (if any man will do his will, he shall know if it is true...in other words, an experiment upon the word, exercising a step of faith by our actions. See also my last post, "Faith: A Different Paradigm" in which I describe the metaphor of a seed of faith from Alma 32 in the Book of Mormon.)

      How does God confirm truth to us? John 14:26 (the Holy Spirit teaches us all things); Moroni 10:5 (by the power of the Holy Ghost we can know the truth of all things); Galatians 5:22-23 (a list of feelings that are fruits of the Spirit); Doctrine and Covenants 8:2 (God will speak to us in our minds [i.e., thoughts, logic] and in our hearts [i.e., feelings]).

      One of the main purposes of my original post was intended to encourage people, given the fleeting nature of faith, to remember the times they've felt the Spirit confirming truth to them, and to not so easily discard those feelings when doubts arise.

      This is kind of a stream of consciousness response, so (1) my apologies for the length of my response! and (2) please let me know if I should clarify anything or if you have any other questions or thoughts. Thanks again for your comment!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the response! If I'm understanding you correctly then, you are suggesting that we should anchor ourselves to things that we have sensed as true (by feeling the Spirit, recognizing fruits, using logic, etc.), but should remain open to the possibility of finding greater truth. That might be a gross oversimplification of your position on my part, but that seems generalkt like the right approach to me.

      I suppose the difficulty I see is that the search for truth is not a one way cumulative process, and sometimes growing in truth requires the deanchoring of old, incompatible truths. For example, my guess is that you would want a Catholic to deanchor the belief that authority has been passed unbroken from Peter to pope Francis, or a Muslim to deanchor the belief that Mohammed was the one true prophet. Would you really recommend that these people use your suggested anchoring tools, knowing that such would make these beliefs that are incompatible with LDS teachings harder to dislodge?

      My guess is no, but then we're back to the question of how to determine when/what to anchor and when/what to deanchor. I suppose it all collapses to following your feelings, logic, spiritual compass, etc., and looking for good fruit. IMO though, we then have to accept that this may lead as many honest truth seekers out of the LDS church as it may lead in.

      Delete
    3. Thanks again for your thoughts. It sounds like we are generally on the same page, but I have just a few follow up thoughts in response.

      "Would you really recommend that these people use your suggested anchoring tools, knowing that such would make these beliefs that are incompatible with LDS teaching harder to dislodge?" Speaking from my own personal experiences and my own spiritual vantage point (i.e., the spiritual knowledge I have gained up to this point), I suppose you are right in the inferences you're making by asking this question, and I concede that this particular post was more directed to an LDS audience. To the extent a non-LDS reader contemplates giving up on religion altogether, however, I would hope that these principles could also aid them and encourage them to hang on to faith.

      "IMO though, we then have to accept that this may lead as many honest truth seekers out of the LDS church as it may lead in." I agree that this is a theoretical possibility, and some have left and are leaving (as they have done throughout the history of the LDS church...I don't think that the retention issues are necessarily unique to today's internet era, though they may appear more prominent due to the increased visibility of detractors on social media and other internet outlets). However, despite what some may believe or insinuate, the number leaving has not yet equalled or surpassed the numbers entering. The LDS church continues to grow, as measured by membership numbers (which admittedly includes some who no longer self-identify as Mormon) and number of wards and stakes (which should give a more true indication of the growth of "active" LDS members).

      Delete
  3. I agree with what you have said. I think you have some very good thoughts and have put a lot of thought into it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These anchors are great. Thanks for putting them together.

    ReplyDelete