Sunday, September 27, 2015

I Know That My Redeemer Lives

In my last post about God the Father, I wrote that I would dedicate a blog post to each of the members of the Holy Trinity.  As I sat down to write this post about the Son, Jesus Christ, it occurred to me that I may have bitten off more than I can chew!  Volumes upon volumes have been written about Jesus Christ.  And rightfully so.  Jesus Christ is central to Heavenly Father’s plan for us, and He deserves our time, attention, reverence, love, and worship.

With this in mind, I will not attempt to say everything that can be said about Jesus Christ.  But I will share a few doctrines accompanied by some of my own personal thoughts and feelings. 

The Living Christ is a document that was issued on January 1, 2000, to commemorate Jesus Christ at the new millennium and is a “testimony of the reality of [Christ’s] matchless life and the infinite virtue of His great atoning sacrifice.”  I invite you to read the entire document (located here), but I will also use excerpts from this document (italicized text below) as a springboard for this discussion about Jesus Christ, the Son of God.

[Jesus Christ] was the Great Jehovah of the Old Testament, the Messiah of the New. Under the direction of His Father, He was the creator of the earth. “All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made” (John 1:3).

We solemnly testify that His life, which is central to all human history, neither began in Bethlehem nor concluded on Calvary. He was the Firstborn of the Father, the Only Begotten Son in the flesh, the Redeemer of the world.

Like each of us, Jesus Christ lived with Heavenly Father before this life.[i]  Jesus Christ is the Firstborn of our Heavenly Father’s children and was light years more spiritually developed than each of us.[ii]  He worked closely with Heavenly Father to execute the plan that would allow us to come to this earth to gain bodies, be tried and tested, and develop the characteristics of our Father.[iii]  Because we all knew we would fall short of perfection in this process, He volunteered in the pre-earth life to be our Savior.[iv]  Under the direction and in perfect unity with our Heavenly Father, He was the creator,[v] and He was Jehovah in the Old Testament.[vi] 

This Supreme Being condescended to this world and took upon himself mortal characteristics.[vii]  While Heavenly Father is the father of each of our spirits, Heavenly Father is also the earthly father of Jesus Christ.[viii]  Thus, with a mortal mother (Mary), and a divine Father (our Heavenly Father), Jesus Christ was both mortal and immortal.  Through Mary, He was subject to death, temptation, sickness, and the other frailties of mortality, but as the literal Son of God, He also had power over this same death, temptation, sickness, and the other frailties of mortality.  Because of this special nature, He was able to effect the atonement in which He overcame death so that we all will be resurrected,[ix] He felt all our pains and sicknesses[x], and He paid the price for our sins so that (on the condition of our repentance) we may return to our Heavenly Father’s presence.[xi]

He “went about doing good” (Acts 10:38), yet was despised for it. His gospel was a message of peace and goodwill. He entreated all to follow His example.  He walked the roads of Palestine, healing the sick, causing the blind to see, and raising the dead.

Christ performed miracles during his mortal ministry,[xii] and He continues to perform miracles today for those with faith in Him.[xiii] 

Christ provides the perfect example.[xiv]  He taught us and showed us what it is to love and to serve.[xv]  He condemned sin, but balanced this with complete compassion for the sinner.[xvi]  One of the goals of this life is to study His words and works and to strive to emulate Him.[xvii]

He instituted the sacrament as a reminder of His great atoning sacrifice.  He was arrested and condemned on spurious charges, convicted to satisfy a mob, and sentenced to die on Calvary’s cross. He gave His life to atone for the sins of all mankind. His was a great vicarious gift in behalf of all who would ever live upon the earth.

I am grateful each week that I have to attend church, reflect upon the atonement of Jesus Christ, and commemorate his sacrifice by partaking of the sacrament.  It is rejuvenating to weekly reflect on my own life, weaknesses, strengths, and personal progress and to express gratitude to my Heavenly Father for Jesus Christ’s incomparable gifts of resurrection, repentance, redemption, and renewal.

Among my favorite scriptures is Isaiah 1:18: “Come now, and let us reason together, saith the Lord: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool.”  I love this scripture because of the imagery it brings to my mind.  Not just the imagery of “scarlet to white as snow” and “crimson to wool,” which are definitely part of the appeal of this scripture to me, but also the imagery of a merciful Savior, beckoning to me – and to each of us – to “come” and “reason together” with Him.  I have made many mistakes throughout my life, and over and over again, I have felt guilt swept away and replaced with renewing hope as I have come to Christ and repented of my sins.  Christ is truly the Healer of spiritual wounds.

We bear testimony, as His duly ordained Apostles— that Jesus is the Living Christ, the immortal Son of God. He is the great King Immanuel, who stands today on the right hand of His Father. He is the light, the life, and the hope of the world. His way is the path that leads to happiness in this life and eternal life in the world to come. God be thanked for the matchless gift of His divine Son.

I shared in my last post that one of the pillars of my faith is “the knowledge that Heavenly Father loves me, cares about me, and is keenly aware of me and my needs.” Similarly, my knowledge of Jesus Christ and his role as my personal Savior as “the light, the life, and the hope of the world” is another foundational pillar of my faith.  The experiences I describe above of repenting and having guilt swept away serve as the primary basis for this pillar of faith.  I have reflected on these experiences when doubt threatens to overcome my faith. 

As the video below describes, it is because of Jesus Christ that I can hit the reset button when I make mistakes (and I make my fair share of them).  It is because of Him that in a world fraught with turmoil, anger, violence, and despair, I have peace and hope.  It is because of Him and His example that I know what will bring me happiness in this life and in the life to come.  It is because of Him that I can feel and experience true love and joy.  He lived for us, He died for us, and He lives again.  I echo the oft-repeated words: “I know that my Redeemer lives.”[xviii]




[vi] See, for example, Isaiah 43:11 and Isaiah 49:26
[viii] In the scriptures, Christ is often referred to as the “Only Begotten Son” (see, for example, John 3:16 and 1 John 4:9).  See also Luke 1:34-35; Alma 7:10. 
[xi] See Alma 7:13; Matthew 20:28; John 1:29; 2 Nephi 2:6-7; Alma 42:15.  For a good analogy of the intersection between justice, mercy, and redemption, please see this brief video, The Mediator, found here: https://www.lds.org/media-library/video/the-mediator?lang=eng.
[xv] See, for example, Matthew 5:44; John 13:34; John 15:13.
[xvi] See, for example, the account of the woman caught in adultery found in John 8:1-11.

No comments:

Post a Comment