Friday, November 6, 2015

"Hang on, it's going to get bumpy!"

Last night, the media learned that local leaders of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints recently received updated instruction relating to homosexuality and same-sex marriage.  For those who are familiar with the Church and follow its movements, it was perhaps not all that surprising that policies were clarified to confirm that homosexual cohabitation will subject participants to Church discipline and entering into same sex marriage is defined as apostasy.  But the new policy regarding children living with same sex couples was surprising and, for many Latter-day Saints, confusing and disturbing.  I don't want to misquote so here is the policy in full, as leaked to the media and confirmed by Church spokesman, Eric Hawkins:

A natural or adopted child of a parent living in a same-gender relationship, whether the couple is married or cohabiting, may not receive a name and a blessing.

A natural or adopted child of a parent living in a same-gender relationship, whether the couple is married or cohabiting, may be baptized and confirmed, ordained, or recommended for missionary service only as follows:

A mission president or a stake president may request approval from the Office of the First Presidency to baptize and confirm, ordain, or recommend missionary service for a child of a parent who has lived or is living in a same-gender relationship when he is satisfied by personal interviews that both of the following requirements are met:

1.       The child accepts and is committed to live the teachings and doctrine of the Church, and specifically disavows the practice of same-gender cohabitation and marriage.

2.       The child is of legal age and does not live with a parent who has lived or currently lives in a same-gender cohabitation relationship or marriage.

Last night, I was among those confused and unsettled by this news.  I still have some questions that I hope are clarified in the coming days.  Even for one who has come to peace with this policy (spoiler alert), there are still some ambiguities surrounding the language of the policy.  (Perhaps intentionally so as to provide flexibility in execution of the policy?)  For example: 
  1. What exactly is required to “disavow” the practice of same-gender cohabitation and marriage?  Is it simply an acknowledgement that these practices are contrary to God’s commandments or is there more required?
  2. The requirements 1 and 2 speak of “the child” taking certain actions.  Is there a cutoff for when an individual who grew up with same-sex parents must get First Presidency approval for baptism?  i.e., does a 45 year old still have to get approval?  Or only 18 year olds?  Maybe the cutoff is age 21?
  3. Is there a new baptismal interview question to reflect this new policy or does it only apply if the interviewer is aware of a situation triggering this requirement (less likely to be an issue for an 18 year old, but if it applies to the 45 year old, an interviewer won’t necessarily be aware of the baptismal candidate’s background).
  4. Does this apply in situations where a child’s non-custodial parent is in a same-sex cohabitation/marriage but the custodial parent is not gay (i.e., the child doesn’t live with the gay parent)?  What if the child lives with the gay parent some of the time?  Does it make a difference if it’s half the time, a quarter of the time, or just every other weekend?
  5. How stringently is the “has lived” language to be read in the second requirement?  For example, let’s imagine a circumstance where a child has two parents, both of whom have participated in homosexual cohabitation.  At the time of the child’s 18th birthday, the parent with whom the child lives is still cohabitating but with another partner.  The other non-custodial parent has repented and is in full fellowship with the Church.  Technically, this requirement would be read to exclude the child from going to live with the parent that has repented and is in full fellowship with the Church because the parent "has lived" in a same-gender cohabitation.  Is that how this requirement is to be understood?
Well, after pondering these questions and reading some initial reactions of peers online last night, I finally knelt down and prayed.  I prayed for understanding, peace, and resolve.  The thoughts contained in this post are a result of those prayers, and I wanted to share in case it helps anyone else who may be struggling with this news.

First, let’s be clear what this instruction is and what it isn’t.  It is policy and not doctrine.  While doctrines are eternal, policies in the Church come and go.  (Though it is true that our understanding of doctrine may change over time.)  I have seen a lot of changes in policy in the Church even in my relatively short lifetime.  Because of this, I would be surprised if during my lifetime this new policy is not changed in some way, whether it be clarifications, exceptions, complete reversal, or otherwise.  

Next, I want to clarify that I believe that it is possible to have reservations about certain policies of the Church and still sustain the leaders of the Church.  Church leaders have long admitted that they are not infallible.  As recently as this last General Conference in October 2015, Elder M. Russell Ballard said, “Too many people think Church leaders and members should be perfect or nearly perfect.  They forget that the Lord’s grace is sufficient to accomplish His work through mortals.  Our leaders have the best intentions, but sometimes we make mistakes.”

So, I conclude that it is possible that this policy is more manmade than divinely appointed.  However, an important part of my testimony is that I know that I don’t know everything.  I am in no position to state conclusively that this policy is not God’s will.  “For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the Lord.  For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.”  (Isaiah 55:8-9)  There are a lot of good ideas bouncing around the Internet today to brainstorm possible reasons for the policy.  Most of the ideas I have seen are from individual Facebook comments and posts, which I won’t re-hash here.  But here is one example of some insights:


[EDIT: shortly after I published this post, the Church released an interview clarifying some of the confusion surrounding the policy and explaining reasons for the policy: http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/handbook-changes-same-sex-marriages-elder-christofferson]

[EDIT 2: one week after I published this post, the Church released additional insights clarifying the new policy.  See here: https://www.lds.org/pages/church-handbook-changes?cid=HP_WE_11-11-2015_dPFD_fCNWS_xLIDyL1-A_&lang=eng and here: http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/commentary-understanding-the-handbook.]

And, still a third possibility is a combination of the two, that the policy reflects God’s will to weigh carefully the baptism of children living in homes with same-gender parents but the specifics are limited by man’s execution of the policy.  I don’t know if the policy was drafted intentionally ambiguous to enable flexibility in its execution, but as stated above, there are a lot of unanswered questions from my perspective.  Perhaps the policy will be further refined to become more clear, if nothing else.

So, if I am willing to entertain the idea that this policy could be more manmade than divinely appointed, does that put in jeopardy the claim that the Quorum of the Twelve and the First Presidency are prophets?  Many would attempt to make this a zero sum game, but I submit that the answer to this question is "No."  I believe that the Church, being led by imperfect people, is much like us as individuals striving to better ourselves in that our progression has an upward arc (hopefully), but there are little (or big) valleys on the line of our progression where we may get a little (or a lot) off track.  Similarly, prophets and apostles are leading the work of God forward, refining and progressing, but the Church may have taken some missteps in its nearly 200 year history.  

Truth be told, I have a strong conviction that the Church is led by prophets called of God.  Back to Elder M. Russell Ballard (long quote, but important in my view):

"The Church of Jesus Christ has always been led by living prophets and apostles.  Though mortal and subject to human imperfection, the Lord’s servants are inspired to help us avoid obstacles that are spiritually life threatening and to help us pass safely through mortality to our final, ultimate, heavenly destination. 

During my nearly 40 years of close association, I have been a personal witness as both quiet inspiration and profound revelation have moved to action the prophets and apostles, the General Authorities, and the auxiliary leaders.  While neither perfect nor infallible, these good men and women have been perfectly dedicated to leading the work of the Lord forward as He has directed. 
. . . .
Too many people think Church leaders and members should be perfect of nearly perfect.  They forget that the Lord’s grace is sufficient to accomplish His work through mortals.  Our leaders have the best intentions, but sometimes we make mistakes . . . .

Looking for human weakness in others is rather easy.  However, we make a serious mistake by noticing only the human nature of one another and then failing to see God’s hand working through those He has called. 

Focusing on how the Lord inspires His chosen leaders and how He moves the saints to do remarkable and extraordinary things despite their humanity is one way that we hold on to the gospel of Jesus Christ and stay safely aboard the Old Ship Zion.”

I have received a witness from the Holy Spirit that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is led by prophets of God.  I have made a covenant with God to sustain and support them.  So, what does that mean for me personally in this case, where I admittedly have reservations about this new policy?  How do I sustain them in spite of this issue?
  • Whether or not this policy is manmade or divinely appointed, I pray for these fifteen men and I will continue to pray for them.  Whether or not this policy is manmade or divinely appointed, I firmly believe that this policy is not motivated by animus, and these men are doing the best they can in a calling they did not seek.  I cannot fathom the incredible burden they carry to lead the Church and teach the world correct principles, particularly in light of the intense scrutiny and criticism they face.  
  • Whether or not this policy is manmade or divinely appointed, and despite my admitted reservations with the policy, I support them in their decision to implement the policy.  While I acknowledge the possibility that this policy is more manmade than divinely appointed, I acknowledge that I just don't have the ability to conclusively say that is the case.  Again, I don't know all the reasons behind the policy, and I trust that the prophets and apostles (1) are doing the best they can and (2) see things from their vantage point that I haven't even considered.  Again, Isaiah 55:8-9.
And that's what God has told me as I have prayed and pondered about this over the last 24 hours.  Also, interestingly to me, one of the first impressions I had as I was praying about this was that the gap between the position of the Church and the accepted view of society is only going to continue to widen.  And these words entered my mind and heart: "Hang on, it's going to get bumpy in the last days!"  No one knows when Christ will return again, but each day is one day closer to that event, and based on God's message to me, it sounds to me like the coming days will require me to have a tight grip on the iron rod and healthy spiritual reserves!

As a final thought, I want to turn back to the dichotomy between policies and doctrines.  I note that for me, it was focusing on the doctrine of Christ that ultimately helped me to come to peace in the face of this new policy.  As I turn to the fundamental doctrines of the gospel, it leads me to the Atonement of Jesus Christ.   I readily acknowledge that for many, this policy strikes much more close to home than it does for me.  There are people who are hurting over this policy in principle, and there will undoubtedly be people hurt by this new policy as it is put into practice.  I sympathize with these people, and I strive my best to empathize with them.  From one point of view, it looks unfair to put additional hurdles to baptism for people who did not choose their parentage.  Nonetheless, I do believe that "all that is unfair about life can be made right through the Atonement of Jesus Christ," (See Lesson 2 in Preach My Gospel) or in other words, as Elder Ballard said, "the Lord’s grace is sufficient to accomplish His work through mortals."   Whether in this life or the next, Christ's grace will right all wrongs.  It is my conviction of the fundamental principles of the gospel that helps me to navigate issues such as this new policy from the perspective of faith.  And I suspect this won't be the last time – because it's going to get bumpy!  Hang on!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting. I find it difficult to discuss matters like this publicly because people come at it with such vastly different perspectives and with such little rational thought, so kudos to you for being able to express your thoughts both rationally and civilly. This post sparked a lot of thoughts, and since they don't necessarily all tie together well or flow in a particular order, I'll just list a few (and will have to post multiple comments since I'm so long winded):

    1. You pose some interesting questions about how this will play out, including some I hadn't considered. It seems like quite frequently the church handbooks have ambiguities in them that make me uncomfortable if I'm wearing my attorney hat, but in practice those ambiguities usually provide the flexibility that you mentioned. And the handbooks aren't meant to be binding authoritative documents so much as they are meant to create general uniformity throughout the Church and be an information source for local leaders to assist them with their decision making.

    2. Good call out on the doctrine vs. policy distinction. I would just also add that I think most major policies that come from the First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve are divinely inspired or come via revelation. I think this policy is likely of divine origin as well. The Brethren have really put a lot of effort into reaching out to the gay community and are well aware that many member and Church critics alike are concerned about this issue, which leads me to believe that they would not have made these changes without trying to understand the mind and will of the Lord. And as inflammatory as the Church's critics try to make this sound because it deals with children and is tied together with homosexuality, I am sympathetic to the idea that it is in the best interest of the Church to (a) set a standard in the handbook that can be universally followed so that you do not have leaders in different areas treating similarly situated members differently, and (b) relieve bishops and stake presidents and district leaders/mission presidents of the burden of "being the bad guy" by being put in a situation where it is their decision to not allow a child to pass a baptismal interview because they are in this situation. By putting it in the handbook, these local leaders can honestly express sympathy to the impacted individuals and communicate to them that the leader has no choice in the matter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 3. For the point above to be valid, there would have to be situations where it would make sense to deny a child in this situation from being baptized. For me, it would be one of two situations:
    (i) Where a child is being used as a pawn where someone had an agenda against the Church. I think this is relatively unlikely (at least I hope it would be), but still within the realm of possibility. There are a lot of people who seem anxious to attack the Church for its stance on gay marriage/homosexual activity. Another line of attack could easily be something such as "my daughter is LDS and wanted to get married in the temple, but they would let us, her parents, attend the wedding ceremony just because we're gay," "our daughter wanted to be baptized into the LDS Church, but now that she's a teenager they're teaching her at church that our marriage cannot be eternal and she cannot be sealed to us and so now she is in counseling due to the emotional distress they've caused her," or "we wanted our son to receive an infant blessing in the LDS Church, but they wouldn't let me perform the blessing (even though I served an LDS mission and gave two years of my life to them) just because I'm gay, even though so-and-so was permitted to bless his son after all the awful stuff he did." In this potential situation, it makes sense to me that the Church would just want to rip the band-aid off so to speak and let people vent now but prevent these one off situations from occurring in the future.
    (ii) Where the child and even the parents have good intentions, but the child lives primarily or exclusively with the gay parents. As the parent of an 8 year old, I can say I think most 8 year olds are unprepared at that age to have any conception of whether gay marriage is right or wrong or why. 8 year olds are baptized because they are generally able to differentiate between right and wrong with respect to the decisions they typically face at that age, not because they are able to digest everything there is to know about the Gospel. I've been an active member my entire life and I'm still not to that point. The Church rightfully assumes that children in this situation are going to be taught by their parents that there is nothing wrong about their parents' relationship. The Church does not want to baptize children who are particularly likely to face teachings from their parents that undermine their faith, with the potential to become inactive and therefore be unfaithful to their covenants. Better never to have been baptized than to be baptized and then break your covenants.

    4. The policy really does strike me as compassionate, especially for a church that is often criticized for having a low threshold for baptism and is portrayed as just being concerned about numbers. Here, the Church is showing that people are more important than numbers, and wants to avoid placing children in a home situation where they feel torn between covenants they made at baptism and their parents.

    5. What many fail to acknowledge is that these kids (and their parents) are more than welcome to attend church and church activities. These kids can receive priesthood blessings. They can engage in activities between the age of 8 and 18 that would enable them to develop testimonies. I am sympathetic to the fact that kids who sincerely believe and would like to be baptized would be excluded from certain activities such as temple attendance and Aaronic Priesthood responsibilities, though. But, the Church is not saying that these kids aren't welcome (which I've seen in many posts on this).


    ReplyDelete
  3. 6. I have a hunch that the implementation of this policy will vary from the way it reads (but admit I could be very wrong about this). In my experience the policies in the handbook are frequently waived where situations warrant. The policies are meant to generally apply, but individual circumstances often dictate exceptions. For certain situations, local leaders have the ability to use discretion and permit exceptions. In other situations, Seventies or sign-off from one of the higher governing bodies is required. I would guess that in situations where parents are divorced and one parent is active in the church and has at least partial custody and the other parent is now in a homosexual relationship but supportive of the baptism, that an appeal could be made to the First Presidency and if local leaders are supportive of the child being baptized, it would not surprise me if the First Presidency granted permission (notwithstanding the language in the handbook that the First Presidency gives consent only if the child is 18). The number of children who find themselves in this situation (live with a parent in a same-sex relationship, want to be baptized, have permission from both parents to be baptized) is likely such a low number that it will be possible for the First Presidency to consider each such request that they receive.

    7. I don't know any children who will be impacted by this, so I hope my response doesn't feel callous to those who are. I'm thankful I was raised in a home where I could be baptized when I was 8 and was raised in an environment where I was able to grow my testimony. My heart goes out to those who are not blessed with a similar situation. However, I know that the Savior's grace you spoke of can erase whatever disadvantages these kids will face (to be clear, the by disadvantage I mean not being able to be baptized at 8, not anything about their parents). And where they are not able to exercise their agency to be baptized due to the Church's policy, surely they will not be held accountable. How thankful I am that we have a Father with a perfect plan for each of us and who is perfectly just and merciful.

    8. Speaking anecdotally, the response on this topic from members of the Church supportive of the Church's policy has been much greater than I remember with any other issue. Facebook friends and people I follow on Twitter that are frequently critical of the Church have spoken out like I would expect them to, but the number of people I follow who have spoken out in the Church's defense has been astounding to me, and that in turn has buoyed my faith as well. It feels more and more like we're getting to the point where the mists are particularly dark and the shouting from the great and spacious building is particularly loud, so it's refreshing to hear so many voices announcing that they're still holding onto the rod.

    Well, that's way more than you wanted to hear from me on the topic. It was great catching up the other day. I assume you also have the regional broadcast (or whatever it's called now) tomorrow? I doubt this topic will be discussed directly, but I'm interested to see if anything is said from Salt Lake that tangentially relates. Thanks again for adding your voice to the chorus of the faithful on this topic. Give our best to your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doug, all good thoughts. Thanks for reading and sharing your comments. I acknowledge that a lot of my qualms come from me reading the policy with my "attorney hat," perhaps more than is merited. :)

      You said that putting the policy in the handbook is to provide "general uniformity." I guess that's one of the reasons that ambiguity concerns me is because without further instruction, I'm not sure the policy will result in the intended uniformity. If one bishop reads the handbook to mean that a child in his ward cannot be baptized because he lives with his gay cohabitating parent part of the time, but another bishop in another ward reads the handbook to mean that a child in the exact same circumstances is ok to be baptized because the child doesn't live with his gay cohabitating parent all of the time, this creates disjunction rather than uniformity.

      At any rate, thanks again for your thoughts. I liked much of what you had to say, but I particularly liked this: "As the parent of an 8 year old, I can say I think most 8 year olds are unprepared at that age to have any conception of whether gay marriage is right or wrong or why. 8 year olds are baptized because they are generally able to differentiate between right and wrong with respect to the decisions they typically face at that age, not because they are able to digest everything there is to know about the Gospel." I think you gave some good reasons why it may make sense in many cases for children of gay parents to wait until older to enter into the covenants of baptism.

      And to answer your question, we do have the stake conference broadcast tomorrow. Whether or not this policy is mentioned or discussed, I look forward to being spiritually fed. :)

      Delete